Thursday, December 24: Psalm 81- An invitation to believe.

If… only…

If my people would only listen to me, if Israel would only follow my ways… (13)

If only Israel would listen to me, cries the psalmist, how quickly I would subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes! (14)

The Lord stands poised to step in and help. Earlier the psalmist wrote how God had lifted their burdens and rescued them, asking only that they believe and are faithful (6-10). Sadly, Israel has not remained faithful. So the Lord issues one more call… if only, then I…

To this day, God issues a similar cry to all people through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If only a person will listen to Jesus, if only one would follow Him… How quickly the Lord God will come to the one who believes in Jesus and rescue them from the clutches of sin and usher them into God’s Kingdom.

The invitation to believe is given every day and to every age…

What does listening to Jesus and following Jesus look like today? This is the BIG question God asked of me to day as I read this ancient Psalm.

Lord, as I walk through today help me to hear Your voice, Jesus, and most importantly give me strength to LISTEN and FOLLOW what You are saying to me.

Lord, I don’t want to be like ancient Israel, turning my back on all the gifts and wonders of salvation that You bestow. Faith to believe, faith to follow… faith to be Yours all day, every day. This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment