Tuesday, December 22: Psalm 79- When sin creeps in.

When bad things happen where do I go mentally? This is the question that emerged as I read this Psalm. Israel has been destroyed and Asaph first looks to the sin of the country… then he turns to God and cries out for mercy.

Israel had sinned, the prophets had announced this and the destruction of Jerusalem was God’s punishment. So Asaph was right to understand the direct correlation of the two.

At this point the Psalm takes a turn… Do not hold against us the sins of past generations; may your mercy come quickly to meet us, for we are in desperate need. Help us, God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name’s sake (8-9).

Forgiveness, mercy… these were the cries of Asaph. A recognition that God’s help was needed and only His help would and could change the situation.

Sin creeps into my life as well. I am far from perfect and sin has its consequences. As I meditated on this Psalm, I asked myself how I react when I am confronted with my own sin.

Do I, like Aspah, recognize my part and confess my role, my sin? Do I call out to the Lord, who is great in mercy, and beg for mercy? Do I ask forgiveness for my sins?

O, God, I pray I do. O, God, I pray that I can humble myself before You and others, if need be.  And seek Your forgiveness and Your grace to climb from my hole through Your power and mercy.

Lord, help me to be honest and transparent with You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment