Saturday, December 19: Psalm 77- The power of memory.

I have a friend who is constantly speaking about Philippians 4:8 and how helpful it is for life. The verse goes like this, Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Her words are so true. What we think about and dwell upon grows into our soul and shapes who we are…

The psalmist found himself brooding and depressed and what, alas, broke the doom and gloom? Verse 11:  I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.

The psalmist made a conscience effort to remember what God had done. He combed the recesses of this life and memory for those moments God broke in and did something.  As he pondered these things, God drew him from his depression.

Two thoughts hit me as I thought about this…

1)      First, the psalmist had tucked away these memories! When God did something he placed those memories in a vault labeled “remember this.” Some people use an ‘answered prayer list’. Others simply make a determined effort to remember. And, of course, God’s Word is a treasure trove of miracles and deeds of God on behalf of His people.

2)      In a time of need, the psalmist called the memories from the vault and brought them to his present mind… he remembered. He pondered anew the things God had done! One of the classic hymns of the church has us sing, ponder anew what the Almighty can do, if we will first just believe him (check words)

So this morning God calls me to store His wonders so I may see today and always remember  and think on the things that He has done in days past!

We serve a Great God, let us never forget that!!!

Lord, for the myriad of ways You have touched my life I am forever grateful.  I will remember and live from the position of memory and gratefulness. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment