Wednesday, December 2: Matthew 15- Pretense Faithfulness.

Jesus quotes Isaiah, These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me (8) as an attack against the religious leaders. Their crime is creating religious rules that look pious but in fact serve themselves not God. In the referenced case, religious leaders would dedicate money to God and in so doing, exempt it from money that they could have (should have) been used to honor and care for their parents.

This launched me into thinking, “Are there ways that I act religiously but do so in a way that actually causes me to avoid doing what the Father would desire me to do?”

Another way to ask the question goes like this, “Are there ways I can act religious but in truth I am being self focused?”

This takes some thought and pondering…

How about you???

Lord, I have prayed before and I will pray again today… call me up short anytime I act hypocritically. Confront me, Lord, anytime I lack integrity, pretending to be more spiritual than I truly am.

In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment