Monday, December 7: Matthew 19- Who then can be saved?.

A rich person comes to Jesus to find the way to eternal life. After confirming that the man has kept the 10 commandments, Jesus asks the man to sell everything he has and come follow him. The man turns and sadly leaves.

At this point Jesus turns to his disciples saying, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible”  (23-26).

What caught my attention was the disciples question, “Who then can be saved?” it seems that they understood the dilemma of wealth. Even though the man who came to Jesus had great wealth, the disciples had some wealth and it sounds like with their question they wondered if they could be saved.

Jesus’ surprise answer comes, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” None of us can accomplish our salvation by ourselves. Salvation is impossible for human mission. Whether riches or poverty none of us can will ourselves to God. We all need the powerful work of God to make salvation possible.

I needed God to overcome my human thinking to believe in Jesus and all the Bible says about Him and God. I needed God to short circuit my pride in ME being ‘good enough’ so I recognized the need for a Savior. I needed God to tear down that religion could save me and open me to a relationship with God through faith in Jesus. Without these and other God actions I could and would never have come to believe.

Where did or does God need to work in your life so you can follow Him? Think about it.

Lord, God, thank You for all You did the make a way for me to believe in Jesus. Without You I would not believe and I bless and thank You this morning for the gift of salvation.

I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment