Monday, December 21: Psalm 78- Parents pass on the faith.

God will never abandon His people forever. He will, however, allow us to taste His anger and fury when we sin.  This for me was the major theme of this Psalm. Within these, theme verses 5-7, an important message stood out for us as we live within God’s care.

He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our ancestors to teach their children, so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children. Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

Being God’s family is not a birth right by blood as much as it is by faith. A parent’s role is to teach their children the way of the Lord so that the children put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.

I cannot say because I am a Christ follower my children are automatically be Christ followers. It is not a matter of birth or parentage; it is a matter of faith. As a parent my role is to teach and model the faith so that my children will eventually put their faith and trust in the Lord.

Parent’s step up to the plate… it is your call. The church can and certainly does help, but it remains your responsibility.

Lord, I pray for Christ following parents everywhere… help us to parent well, and to model well the way of Christ. And then I pray, Lord, that You, by Your Spirit, work in their hearts and call each child home to You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment