Monday, November 14: Romans 13- .

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God (1).

This verse touched me viscerally.

I write these blogs a few weeks ahead of the date to provide me with a little cushion in case something comes up at the last minute. This means I am writing this shortly before the general and presidential elections in the US. I do not know if Hillary or Donald will be elected President for the next 4 years. I struggle with both as the next leader and figurehead of my country. And then I read verse one and the first section of this chapter. My heart has palpitations…

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities [of Donald or Hilary], for there is no authority except that which God has established. [Their Administration has] been established by God. This is so difficult for me to understand.

This is a case of Scripture I have to submit out of loyalty and trust in God not because there is some reason intrinsically in me that says “Oh, this makes sense.”

As I open my thoughts to the world I can, in measure, feel the plight of sisters and brothers throughout the ages and the continents who have lived and are living under regimes far worse than I will face. They, too, had to make sense of this word from the Lord.

I have much to learn about ‘being subject to governing authorities’…

Oh, God, help me live faithfully to You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment