Saturday, November 26: Psalm 145- Reflecting on parenting.

Not long ago I was asked some questions about parenting and what the Bible teaches about it. So parenting is on my mind lately, and as I was reading this Psalm verses 3-7 connected with parenting and drew me to the Lord.

Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. One generation commends your works to another; they tell of your mighty acts. They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— and I will meditate on your wonderful works. They tell of the power of your awesome works— and I will proclaim your great deeds. They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.

I realize that these verses were intended to speak to a wider audience than parents, but they certainly seem appropriate to parents.

As parents, if we want to pass our faith along to our children, these verses suggest a few things to do…

Praise the Lord with You own life… As parents we pass along who we are. Are you a Lord God Almighty worshipper?

Commend and speak of the Lord… bring the things of God into your life and speech. What things do your children hear you say about the Lord? Do they hear you pray? When they ask, can you give answers in their age-appropriate language? Do you share the great things God has done with your children?

Grow in your relationship with the Lord… do you meditate on what God has done and grow in Him?

Celebrate God’s goodness… are there ways you and your family celebrate the Lord? Celebration is such a good word. It can be big and planned or it can be spontaneous, singing a song with laughter and joy in thanks to the Lord.

Most of my parenting days are gone, but my adult children can still benefit from seeing these things in my life.

Bottom line, am I living faithfully with the Lord for my children and others to see?

Now here is some food to chew on throughout the day…

Lord, You are good, great in fact, and I pray that people see my love for You in how I live. I praise You and thank You for life and an opportunity to live my life in a way that is a beacon pointing to You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment