Wednesday, November 23: Psalm 142- Connection and intimacy are the soil of truest prayer .

The setting of this Psalm struck me, When in a cave… David is alone. Oh, there may be some supporters surrounding him, but he is likely on the run, hiding out. Maybe it is early in his life when he is fleeing Saul. Maybe it is later when he is fleeing Absalom, we do not know. But he is surely hiding, fleeing, alone, emotionally, if not personally.

I don’t know if I have ever been that alone and isolated. But I can project….

Questions, wonderings… what did I do wrong? Why is God out for me? Why are these people against me, hunting me… why, what, and more whys…

Amidst his wondering David opens his heart to pray. I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy. I pour out before him my complaint; before him I tell my trouble.

First I wondered how I would pray in a moment of isolation and fear Would I pray or would I wallow in self-pity?

David prayed. Despite his circumstances David reached out to the Lord. He may have even been angry with the Lord but he still reached out to the Lord.

This is powerful and something I, and all of us, should remember.

Then he was honest… crying for mercy and pouring out complaints. I wonder, was he complaining about the others in his life or about God Himself???

Listening to David and praying these Psalms, prayer is reshaping within me from words spoken to God to words from my heart to God’s heart as I live with Him.

Connection and intimacy are the soil of truest prayer…

Oh, God, I long to live my day and days with You, to know You and be known by You. This is both frightening and invigorating for me. True intimacy does not come easily to me. But I am taking steps to trust You and step into Your open arms.

Through Jesus, my Lord, I step forward to You and utter these words. Amen and amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment