Thursday, November 24: Psalm 143- In dark days remember what God has done .

 

This Psalm grows out of love and devotion to the Lord. David’s lifelong connection with the Lord continues to bare spiritual fruit in his life.

He is troubled, beset by enemies and he cries out in prayer. In the center of this Psalm David works himself off the ledge by pressing into his faith in the Lord.

So my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed. I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done. I spread out my hands to you; I thirst for you like a parched land (4-6).

Even as he wearies and grows faint David falls back on the faithfulness of the Lord throughout the years. He remembers what God has done over the years and then he cries out for the Lord… he thirsts and presses into the Lord.

Such wisdom…

In dark days remember what God has done. And remembering, give thanks to the Lord and nestle into Him. I’ve been thirsty, not to the extreme David pictures, but I have been thirsty. You can’t get it out of your mind. You long for even a sip of water.  Spiritually David is parched and he thirsts for the Lord.  ‘Lord, send me just a sip of Your presence’ is David’s cry.

Here’s the sequence… trouble, remember and nestle in.

When you meet with people filled with spiritual life wisdom, you cannot help but grow and learn. David, the wise man of faith, taught me today.

When life is hard remember what God has done in days past. Recall them, ‘relive’ them mentally, and then respond to God’s love by nestling into the Lord. There, right by his heart, rest, ask, rejoice, live and let the life of God fill you again.

A pretty good life lesson if you ask me…

Lord, thank You for the wise heart and faith-filled living of David, a man after Your own heart. As he lived with You he has mentored me. I praise You for the saints of old and the faith mentors you have put in my path throughout life. Thank You and bless You, Lord. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment