Monday, November 7: Romans 7- The wretch that I am.

 

On so many levels I connect with this chapter. Particularly with the closing thought…  What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! (24-25a).

I can and do play favorites. I think unkind thoughts about others, even strangers. I make unfounded judgments based on facial expressions, appearance, and speech patterns. I am generous with some and not others and I take pride at times in my generosity. Need I go on…

I look in the mirror and see someone who never did, would or could ever measure up to God’s standard.

Paul’s words fit my life. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?

And like Paul I cry, Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!  Without the grace and love of the Father, the sacrifice of Jesus the son and the work of the Holy Spirit opening me up to God’s gospel I would be lost. I was lost.

But Christ found me… Why me? I will never know, at least this side of eternity. But He did and I am forever grateful.

Today I sit… marveling in my God, Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit. Three persons, one God, the miracle of the Trinity.

I marvel and praise the God who saves and who saved me. I continue to be imperfect, but I long to know God more and more, to grow more like Him in character, behavior and spirit.

Praise be to You Lord God. Praise be to You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment