Monday, November 28: 1Corinthians 1- Other people matter.

Two portions of this chapter arrested my attention. Right out of the chute verse 2 caused me to pause and ponder. To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours: It struck me how Paul connected the Corinthian believers with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Although I might worship with one congregation in one city, I truly am connected to all Believers everywhere. I can be so myopic, sometimes, thinking only of myself or my congregation. But Paul’s words remind me to open my eyes and see that faith in Jesus connects all who believe, women, men, young and old from every continent and context. Human divisions don’t count in Christ’s body.

I’m sitting in an airport as I meditate. The people next to me are speaking French and the array of skin hues covers the spectrum. Faith in Jesus would connect me with everyone who loves and follows Jesus. What a beautiful picture is the church of Jesus Christ.

The second latch for me came in verses 26-29: Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.

So much of life is about making it, becoming successful, accepted, and respectable. And yet to build His church in Corinth, God chose mostly the down and out.  As Paul put it: God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things….

I am wondering if He still does this. Am I not a down and outer?  I am wondering if my striving to be accepted is counterproductive to building His church.  Because God worked that way in Corinth doesn’t automatically mean He does it everywhere and all the time.

These words certainly make me realize that in the church we must open our arms wide and accept anyone and everyone God brings our way, no matter if they are ‘well healed’ or not. God is not a respecter of status or class, God looks at the heart… and so should I.

Well, these words to the Corinthians are giving me lots to chew on… I hope the same is true for you.

Lord, thank you for your family, Your ‘world wide’ family. Help me to grow to appreciate the whole of Your Church, the gifts, abilities and specialties of your church.  Along with this, Lord, help me to not judge people by their ‘human worth’ but by the spirit within them… Your spirit within them. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment