Wednesday, November 9: Romans 9- Thanks to Jesus.

What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal (30-31).

I can read these verses as if it were a theological statement (which it is) or I can hear them as a statement declaring how I benefited from God’s grace (which I did).

Today in the quietness of personal time with the Lord I choose the latter. I choose to listen to these verses as they speak to me about the salvation and faith I have in thanks to Jesus Christ. I have my faith because of God’s mercy (see verse 16). God looked down and chose to have mercy on me. I don’t know why. I merited nothing but wrath because of my sin. But God doled out mercy…

I wonder why I am so blessed? I have no answer.

All I know is that I have this faith and it is my job to treasure, to hold on to it, and to do all I can to nurture and grow it. But even as I nurture it, I know that God’s ongoing grace is a bigger component of my faith than I will ever know this side of eternity.

As Paul put it in verse 16: It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.

And as my devotion time winds down, I am moved back to a state of awe, appreciation and praise of God for everything He has done so that I might have faith…

Lord God I continue in awe… You deserve all glory and honor and praise. May my lips never fail to sing Your praise… In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment