Tuesday, November 15: Romans 14- Disputable Matters of faith.

Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters (1).  After starting the thought with this bold statement, Paul goes on to talk about food and special days for worship.

Disputable matters of faith… these are issues and concerns that do not relate to salvation per se. Paul reminds us that it doesn’t matter what we eat; if for conscience sake someone you know doesn’t eat some particular food what’s the big deal? Really.

Don’t make it an issue, Paul says.

There are things of substance, and there are things that are not substance; major in substance not the minor disputable matters.

Paul is clear in verse 14 that all foods are clean, but to make an issue and hurt someone else’s faith (weaker though it might be because they don’t eat something) is wrong.

As I thought about this, I realized there are places to draw the faith-line, but many issues that divide believers are disputable matters. I thought about the various denominations and worship traditions, most differences are honestly disputable issues:

Choir, organ, band or worship team… does it really matter? No, it is a preference.

60 minute, 90 minute or 2 hour service… does it really matter? No, it is a matter of preference and one person is not more spiritual than the other!

Liturgy or free worship… again, Scripture doesn’t make a singular case.

I could continue the list… but this is Paul’s point, which is the message of the Holy Spirit.

God is convicting me about pride and self-righteousness. I have my views on certain disputable matters, which grow from my study of Scripture. But other people have differing views built on Scripture,

DON'T MAKE A BIG DEAL, God is saying to me. Don’t belittle others on disputable matters.

A second thought I have from this passage is to be convinced in my faith. Study, learn, grow and know what I believe and why… Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind (5). God has given us the gift of His Word. The Lord has given me a mind to think and process, I should be using all my faculties to the best of my ability to apprehend and comprehend my faith. And this is true for each of us…

Be convinced of your faith…

Lord, help me never to settle but to study to show myself approved… Help me to work at my faith, to study Your Word… to know what I believe and why I built on YOUR Word and Your Word alone. Lead me and teach me, I pray. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment