Friday, February 23: 2Chronicles 18 Who are you allying yourself with?.

Why would Jehoshaphat ally himself with Ahab? Now Jehoshaphat had great wealth and honor, and he allied himself with Ahab by marriage (1). I cannot fathom this. Jehoshaphat was faithful and Ahab was the epitome of faithlessness.  Even if somehow the Israel brotherhood was strong for Jehoshaphat, as the story continues, he had plenty of evidence that Ahab was not walking with the Lord. For example verse 6: But Jehoshaphat asked, “Is there no longer a prophet of the LORD here whom we can inquire of?”

I kept wondering, why Jehoshaphat wouldn’t back out gracefully once Ahab’s true colors began to show? At least he pressed the issue and had a true prophet come in. After that, why would he continue? I have so many questions.

As I meditate on this, I began to scan my life wondering how often I continue in some kind of a business or working relationship with someone who shows their colors as someone like Ahab… feigning faith but serving another god. It is much easier seeing problematic ways in other people’s lives than seeing it in my life.

I am pleased that the Lord continues to protect and watch over Jehoshaphat particularly when he called out to the Lord (see 31-32).  However, that doesn't excuse him for being in that situation in the first place.  I certainly don't want to presume on the Lord to save me if I am foolishly diving into an ‘empty pool.’

I am also wondering if this association with Ahab will rise up and create problems in the future.

Associations are vital to our growth and are sometimes a key factor in our fall…

Lord, help me to be honest about my associations and to do so with my ears open to Your voice and whisperings. Protect me where I am weak or off base and help me cement those relationships that will help me grow closer to You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment