Wednesday, February 14: 2Chronicles 10- .

I have read about Rehaboam assentation to the throne of Israel many times and it seems each time I focus and ponder his choice of counselors. But this morning was different. I found myself contemplating a comment about his father, Solomon’s governance.

In verse 4 we read Jeroboam’s complaint about Solomon: “Your father put a heavy yoke on us, but now lighten the harsh labor and the heavy yoke he put on us, and we will serve you.” Having just read the chapters on Solomon there was no indication that he put a heavy yoke on this people. Certainly Solomon was a builder, but it seemed like he put the heavy burden of building on the shoulders of the foreigners (see chapter 8). However, this comment said that there was a huge burden put upon everyone. I don’t know how Solomon treated his people, but it was clear that the glories of this kingdom came at a price. David was beloved, Solomon was not.

As the account unfolds, the people actually revolt when they do not get word that Jeroboam  would ease their burden. Maybe it was taxes. Maybe he required manual service by the men. We don’t know but, whatever it was, people were willing to revolt over it!

I found myself wondering about the price the people paid for Solomon’s glory. It is sad that many people build their glory on the backs of average people. Solomon apparently did.

Jesus was not fan of this, saying that His disciples weren’t to lord it over others but rather serve them (Mark 10:xx)

Am I a server or a user of other people?

Are you? Think about it…

O, God, give me a servant’s heart, I pray. In Jesus’ name Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment