Saturday, February 10: 2Chronicles 7.

I was captivated by the immensity of the sacrifice. And King Solomon offered a sacrifice of twenty-two thousand head of cattle and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep and goats. So the king and all the people dedicated the temple of God (5, underline mine). 144 thousand animals sacrificed. Even if that is describing the 7 days of worship that is over 20,000 animals sacrificed a day for 7 days!

On many levels I cannot fathom those numbers. I can’t imagine the amount of work necessary to butcher all those animals, the fires needed to sacrifice them, and the streams of blood (because all the blood needs to be drained before they are burned).

What a celebration… what an extravagant celebration of praise to the Lord!

I am trying to fathom a comparable worship event… honestly, I can’t.

Then again, this was a momentous event. God was establishing a permanent physical presence with the dedication of the temple. And so a level of worship unseen before is warranted.

As I was writing this, I thought, “Yes, there was a comparable momentous event. The incarnation of Jesus… the one and only son born in Bethlehem.”  And for that event, God arranged for a heavenly choir and chorus of angels to mark that event. Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests” (Luke 2:13-14).

God is worthy of praise and worship… this thought washes over me like a wave pounding the beach shore…

Yes, God –Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit –is most worthy of praise.

What a wonderful devotion as I prepare to gather with God’s people tomorrow in worship!

Lord, may we raise the roof in adoration of You tomorrow when we gather to celebrate You tomorrow. Fill our gathering with Your presence and allow us to declare Your praise for all the world to hear. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment