Monday, February 5: 2Chronicles 2- A temple for the Lord.

Solomon, now established, commissions the building of the temple. I found myself wondering, what exactly is the temple?

It is a holy place. It will house the ark, which has been described as the footstool of the Lord (1Chronicles 28:2). Solomon answers my question in his dialogue with Hiram, king of Tyre, who will provide the lumber for the temple.

The temple I am going to build will be great, because our God is greater than all other gods. But who is able to build a temple for him, since the heavens, even the highest heavens, cannot contain him? Who then am I to build a temple for him, except as a place to burn sacrifices before him? (5-6).

The temple is a showcase for the Lord, a grand monument primarily for the offering of sacrifices to the Lord. As such, the temple is a place where people can connect with the Lord personally, as well as the corporate center for the worship of Yahweh. The structure itself announces the greatness of the Lord. Its grand scale and elaborate ornamentation speaks to the indescribability of the Lord Himself.

But the temple must never be confused with the Lord Himself, since the heavens, even the highest heavens, cannot contain the Lord, much less a human constructed building.

While considering the temple, my mind made the leap to the church and believers in Jesus, being the temple of the Lord today.

We, God’s people, are His showcases to the world. Instead of there being one temple in one location, now the temple of the Lord can be found almost anywhere in the world. Christ followers working in fields, rice patties, office buildings and open seas, serving in the military or government, golden agers and millennial are all showcases for the Lord. In us and through the way we live, people are supposed to see the grandeur of the Lord.

But let us never get a big head over this; we are not the Lord, never will be and never can be. We are merely a display through which people receive the tiniest glimpse of the grandeur and wonder of the Lord God Almighty.

I am awed and humbled by these thoughts.

Awed, that God would choose to display Himself to the world through me. Humbled because I am completely and utterly unworthy of this calling. I can’t find the correct words… I am also disappointed, saddened (?) because I am such a poor showcase. With all the mars of sin in my life I am afraid that people are seeing a poor, almost unrecognizable, representation of the Lord in my life. My eyes tear at my lack…

Oh, God, I do not know how or what to pray… make me a better showcase for Your glory. Like a fine craftsman, shave off my blemishes, fill my cracks and replace my weak and broken parts so that I might better display Your wonder. Do this Lord, not for me or my sake, but for Yours.

All glory, laud and honor be Yours, Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit. I pray through Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment