Monday, February 26: 2Chronicles 20- Rooted faith trusts God .

The way in which Jehoshaphat handled his next crisis, the invasion by multiple armies, tells me that his return to the Lord in Chapter 19 was real, that faith had rooted firmly in his heart. I am encouraged by the faith he displayed as he stood before the people and rallied them to the Lord.

Rooted faith trusts God.

Rooted faith is visible to others.

Rooted faith encourages others.

The last verses, however, produce a chink in my enthusiasm. In his last years Jehoshaphat falls back into a sin of his youth. Later, Jehoshaphat king of Judah made an alliance with Ahaziah king of Israel, whose ways were wicked. He agreed with him to construct a fleet of trading ships. After these were built at Ezion Geber, Eliezer son of Dodavahu of Mareshah prophesied against Jehoshaphat, saying, “Because you have made an alliance with Ahaziah, the LORD will destroy what you have made.” The ships were wrecked and were not able to set sail to trade (35-37). 

I am reminded to NEVER become complacent in my faith. None of us will be perfectly faithful this side of eternity. And I am encouraged that Jehoshaphat is described a king who followed the ways of his father Asa and did not stray from them; he did what was right in the eyes of the LORD (32).  But I am duly warned that sin can rise to bite us at any time, so my only defense if vigilance –a continual seeking after the Lord, studded with honest confession and repentance.

Spurred by this thought I pray…

Oh, Lord, look deep within me and see where there is lingering sin. Root it out, Oh, Lord. Show me my weak areas so that I may admit them and lay them before You honestly.

Forgive my sin; cleanse me from the inside out so that my life might be a beacon of Your love to others. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment