Wednesday, February 28: 2Chronicles 22- When life is darkest God is still at work.

These are bleak days for Israel. Faithlessness is rampant. Treachery and murder dominate life. Sad, so very sad.

The depravity of the day struck me in the opening sentence. The people of Jerusalem made Ahaziah, Jehoram’s youngest son, king in his place, since the raiders, who came with the Arabs into the camp, had killed all the older sons. So Ahaziah son of Jehoram king of Judah began to reign (1).

The people of Jerusalem made Ahaziah… king. Where is the guidance from the Lord? As we read on, this is obviously the expedient decision, but it is also clear that there was no turning to the Lord for guidance.

How often do I make the expedient or obvious decision without even an inkling of seeking the Lord’s advice? Is that any different than the people of Judah in this case?

For Israel things move from bad to worse as Ahaziah solidifies his connection with the house of Ahab. Faithless leaders make faithless decisions.,

Even in the midst of the treachery and mayhem, following Ahaziah’s death, the Lord is at work upholding His covenant with Israel and bringing life out of death. The chapter ends with a hint of hope as Joash is hidden and protected in the Temple.

That is so like the Lord.  Even when life is darkest, He is at work preserving His people and remembering His promises.

There is much darkness in our world, but that does not mean the work of the Lord is extinguished. God’s light is still burning and those of us with His light within need to step up and live heroically as Jehosheba, and her husband the priest Jehoiada, did (see verse 11).

At this point I pause to pray…

Lord, is there some action You want me to take to correct a wrong or confront an injustice or save someone in need or preserve Your truth? Show me, Lord, lead me, Lord… and if not today, I surrender myself to You to deploy me for Your good at any time. I am Yours, assign me as You will. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment