Tuesday, February 6: 2Chronicles 3- The Temple.

Opulent, extravagant, over-the-top, such was the temple Solomon built. Gold everywhere, literally. Measurements precise. Symbolism rich.  Such was the temple Solomon built.

One difference between this temple and the opulence of some of the European estate/castles, like Versailles, is that the temple was dedicated to and honoring the Lord God Almighty, not a particular king or family dynasty. It was designed to be as a place of sacrifice and performing the rituals of faith. A second difference was its size. 60 cubits by 20 cubits translates to roughly 90 feet by 30 feet. There are rooms in Versailles which are larger.

David’s design and Solomon’s execution was to honor the Lord, to extol the God who called them to be a people and protect them as a people.  I am also reminded that David put a huge amount of his personal wealth into the construction of the temple.

I am wondering how can I and do I honor the Lord in my life? I am certainly not going to build a temple or a shrine of any kind. So my measurement would be in faithfulness… a few probing questions trickle out of my thoughts:

Am I sacrificial?

Am I dedicated?

Do I give the Lord my best or leftovers?

Am I extravagant or ‘opulent’ in my honoring of the Lord?

Looking at my life would others see the greatness of the Lord as they did when they looked at the temple?

Lord, I battle mixed motives all the time. Purify my life. Burn off the chaff that my life might be of service to You. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment