Tuesday, February 20: 2Chronicles 15- Seek Me, invites the Lord.

For revival or renewal to truly settle into Israel, the people must embrace the Lord. If it remained a dictum from ‘on high’ and was not brought into the average person’s life then renewal would never really take root.

Encouraged by a prophet’s word, Asa continued his reforms and gathered the people for a celebration. 

Then he assembled all Judah and Benjamin and the people from Ephraim, Manasseh and Simeon who had settled among them, for large numbers had come over to him from Israel when they saw that the LORD his God was with him. They assembled at Jerusalem in the third month of the fifteenth year of Asa’s reign.

At that time they sacrificed to the LORD seven hundred head of cattle and seven thousand sheep and goats from the plunder they had brought back. They entered into a covenant to seek the LORD, the God of their ancestors, with all their heart and soul. All who would not seek the LORD, the God of Israel, were to be put to death, whether small or great, man or woman. They took an oath to the LORD with loud acclamation, with shouting and with trumpets and horns. All Judah rejoiced about the oath because they had sworn it wholeheartedly. They sought God eagerly, and he was found by them. So the LORD gave them rest on every side (9-15).

Now revival had a chance because the people had embraced it… they pledged their lives anew to the Lord.

There is something about verbalizing our commitment to the Lord. Speaking our allegiance out loud in a public setting is often a powerful moment. I have been with tens of thousands of men at a Promise Keepers rally and in congregations of various sizes when we renew our love and commitment to the Lord… these have been powerful moments or rededication.

Moments and events will only carry a person so far, but they do provide a jumpstart. I have learned that I have to live into my rededication by continuing to trust the Lord and press into His will through study, prayer, and mutual accountability.

I love the fact that when God’s people seek Him with all their heart He is found by them (15). God is wooing me (and you). “Seek Me,” says the Lord, “because you will find Me.”

With the beckoning from the Lord I am drawn to prayer… to be with Him…

O Lord, refresh my heart. Draw me closer to You. Give me strength and a community that will help me cast of sin and cling to You. Unfurl Your glory that I might experience You… I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment