Friday, April 16: Revelation 12-Again, God wins.

Revelation is a tough book with all its’ imagery and changing scenes. I remind myself each morning as I begin my reading that it was originally written to people scared for their lives, fellow believers undergoing persecution and torture for the name of Jesus. As difficult a book as it is for me, who knows no threat of torture for being a Christian, this same book brings comfort and relief to many believers around our world who face the treat of violence for Jesus’ name.

I don’t understand the plans of God. Not long ago the town of Jos Nigeria, where many of my friends and students live, experienced a bloody flare-up of violence. Hundreds of Christians, mostly women and children, were brutally and intentionally murdered because of their faith. My personal friends are safe, but fear builds inside of them. Why do I get to live in safety and they not? I don’t understand God’s plans.

But this text is for them.  When I place myself in their sandals and listen for God’s whispers from the text, I hear an amazing chorus: “I will win. Nothing is in doubt,” says the Lord. The Church will prevail. Even though some are martyred in the great struggle against evil, they have overcome the evil one by Christ’s blood.”

In heaven the dragon (Satan) was defeated by Michael and the angels…

When Satan tried to kill the child, Jesus, Satan was thwarted as the child was snatched up to God and his throne (7).

On earth, as the dragon wreaked havoc and led many astray,  the church - the woman - is protected by the care of God.

Yes, the dragon makes war against her offspring – believers - “those who obey God’s commands and hold to the testimony of Jesus” (17), They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death (11).

Chapters and books like this don’t explain the reasons for pain and suffering and persecution but they give hope to those enduring it. GOD WINS and WE WILL WIN WITH HIM.

If this life is all we know and all we believe in, all of this makes no sense. But eyes of faith that know there is a life to come, understand best the hope these words give.

O, God, give me eyes of faith. Too often I live purely on an earthly plane, living and thinking as if my 80 or 90 years this side of eternity is what ‘life’ is about. Today I am reminded that there is a much larger picture and an eternity to come. Lord, I don’t seek persecution… that would be crazy. But I do seek to live faithfully and radically for You no matter the plan and purpose You have for my life. To the ONE who WINS, - You, my God and the God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit - I submit my life, my future and my eternity… alleluia, amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment