Thursday, April 15: Revelation 11-God wins

I really don’t understand the two witnesses part of this chapter.  There are so many biblical illusions; illusions to Elijah and Moses and Jesus.  Is God giving the inhabitants of the earth one more time to repent? Possibly, and that would be God’s way, giving people ample opportunities to turn from their wicked ways to His way.

What I do understand, and what gives life and lift to my soul this morning, are the songs of worship and Jesus’ final return (15-18).

The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said:

"The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ,

and he will reign for ever and ever."

And the twenty-four elders, who were seated on their thrones before God, fell on their faces and worshiped God, saying:

"We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty,

the One who is and who was,

because you have taken your great power

and have begun to reign.

The nations were angry;

and your wrath has come.

The time has come for judging the dead,

and for rewarding your servants the prophets

and your saints and those who reverence your name,

both small and great—

and for destroying those who destroy the earth."

Who is and Who was…

Earlier the saints of heaven sang ‘who is and who was and who is to come.’ But in the song above last phrase is omitted, which means HE HAS COME!

Amidst all the imagery and things I don’t understand, Jesus has returned as he promised. This is another indicator that God wins. If ever there was a primary message for this book, it is the surety of God’s victory and Jesus’ return.

I sit here this morning, again, bathing in the assurance of Your victory, God. Whatever my part to play, whatever the circumstances of my life and the tasks You have for me to do, difficult or easy, front lines or desk job, I have been invited to be a soldier in Your army, a combatant in Your triumph over evil. O, Lord, provide me with the strength to serve You well, to do my job. Tto You be the honor and the glory and the power. To You alone, O God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment