Friday, April 2: 3John-who are you emulating?

In this personal note, John writes a friend and fellow Christian brother (‘brother in the truth’) ,Gaius, commending him for his faithful living. What struck me this morning was how John then goes on to warn Gaius about Diotrephes, and commend another brother, Demetrius. This started the wheels turning with questions like, ‘Who are we imitating, who are we emulating, and who are our role models?’

All of us have role models. These individuals may not overtly be our role model. We might not have posters in our rooms or read their biographies, but almost certainly we all have people we look up to and quietly emulate. I know I do.

John’s letter this morning caused me to ask what kind of people are my role models? Do they exemplify a life following Jesus? Are they known for faithful self-less living or, as John puts it, “do they love to be first?”

On this Good Friday, the day Jesus gave his life for me, these are interesting questions to start my day. I am reminded of Paul in 1Cor11:1 (NASB) Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ. As people imitate Jesus, so I should emulate them.

Food for the day…

Jesus, today as I sit beneath the cross, help me to examine my life in light of Your grace… that by Your Spirit I might live to honor You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment