Wednesday, April 7: Revelation 4-A first glimpse

What will it be like when we see God? I don’t know and personally I don’t put a lot of stock in those ‘I died and saw God and came back to life stories’ that circulate every now and then. I guess I am a skeptic when it comes to those accounts.

This chapter (and the next, I peeked) touch me deeply. John was given a sneak peak of the throne of God and he puts into words what he saw and heard.

Majesty is a word that fills my thoughts as I read. A throne patrolled above by flying creatures and circled by 24 elders, God, indescribable, encircled by a jeweled rainbow the throne. Lightening and thunder pounding out.  Songs… songs of majesty, homage and adoration, at which the elders abase themselves, falling face down before The One on the throne!

The song rings… Day and night they never stop saying:

"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,

who was, and is, and is to come" (8).

And then…

"You are worthy, our Lord and God,

to receive glory and honor and power,

for you created all things,

and by your will they were created and have their being"  (11).

This scene fills my heart with indescribable fullness. Whatever heaven will be like, whatever it will be like to see God face-to-face, it will be so beyond what I can comprehend that I, too, will fall on my face in homage and adoration.

Our God is so BIG, so Majestic, that to be in His presence will change everything I have ever thought or imagined. God is supreme, that’s what I am hearing and seeing in today’s chapter. God is so wholly other that whatever I think now will be dwarfed when I see God face-to-face…

And that I think is the way it should be…

O, God, I am filled with awe, amazement and wonder. You, the supreme creator of all things, have an interest in and love for me! Astounding, amazing, You are. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment