Tuesday, April 13: Revelation 9-But by the grace of God

The chapter depicts the horrors God’s wrath falling on those who have not confessed faith in Jesus Christ. The scene follows yesterday and maybe even intensifies the picture. I almost don’t know where to go in my thoughts. The last two verses of the chapter landed like the final knock-out punch of a heavyweight boxing match…

The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood--idols that cannot see or hear or walk. Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts (20-21, bold mine).

I don’t understand why I believe and am saved and others don’t believe and are not saved?

Last night my wife left a poem on my pile, I read it waiting for my computer to boot so I could write this devotional. The poem, erroneously attributed to Maya Angelou, was written by Carol Wimmer (Copyright 1988, http://www.carolwimmer.com/) and it goes like this:

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not shouting, "I've been saved!"

I'm whispering, "I get lost! That's why I chose this way"

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't speak with human pride

I'm confessing that I stumble-needing God to be my guide

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not trying to be strong

I'm professing that I'm weak and pray for strength to carry on

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not bragging of success

I'm admitting that I've failed and cannot ever pay the debt

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't think I know it all

I submit to my confusion asking humbly to be taught

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not claiming to be perfect

My flaws are far too visible but God believes I'm worth it

When I say, "I am a Christian," I still feel the sting of pain

I have my share of heartache which is why I seek His name

When I say, "I am a Christian," I do not wish to judge

I have no authority--I only know I'm loved

 

The version printed in that church newsletter included an additional verse (author unknown)

When I say… “I am a Christian,” I’m not holier than thou,

I’m just a simple sinner who received God’s good grace, somehow!

 

O, God,I don’t understand why I received Your grace, why my eyes were opened to Jesus and I put my faith in Him. I am first of all so grateful to believe and that I am sealed by Jesus’ blood from Your wrath to come. Lord, again, reading these verses I recommit to Your call to seek those who do not yet know and believe in You, I will do what I can, by Your Spirit, to introduce them to the love of Jesus, Savior and Lord. Amen.

 

3 comments:

  1. I like your thought about mankind and God. This is true that in this modern time people not repent for their murders, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts

    ReplyDelete