Saturday, April 10: Revelation 7-Protection and praise

Those two “p” words popped into my head as I mused on this text. I was asking the Lord what nugget, what gift, what word He was speaking to me today from this text. ‘Protection’ and ‘Praise’ is what came to mind.

Protection… the144,000 sealed, protected from the wrath of God that was about to fall upon the earth and humankind. They belong to the Lord and He was sealing them, claiming them to be His own. I thought of the work of the Holy Spirit from Ephesians 1:13-14: And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory. God’s seal on their foreheads, the Holy Spirit’s seal in our lives guaranteeing (I love the certainty of the word guaranteeing) our/their future. That’s what came to mind with the word ‘protection’!

Praise… an innumerable multitude dressed in white standing before the throne waving palm branches, praising God loudly. At first I thought about the content of their praise and the palm branches which reminded me of Palm Sunday a few weeks back but then I noticed who this multitude was. Verse 14: These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. They were an innumerable multitude of martyrs. I know a little first century history and the horrific deaths that martyrs faced at the hands of Nero and Diocletian. Not a hint of the pain of martyrdom leaks into this text. What we see is unrestrained praise of the God they love and serve. Unrestrained praise…

I realized that when I come face-to-face with my God in heaven, not one pain, not one hurt, not one fear I encountered for His sake this side of eternity will matter. Seeing God face-to-face will wipe away every tear from their eyes (17) and blossom in unrestrained joy and praise of Him who saved us and loves us and names us to be His own.

O, God, give me strength this side of eternity to stand for You and You alone… to live for You and You alone… to receive what comes, to receive what the world dishes out without complaint. Lord, in the end it will not matter. When You call me home, You will wipe away every tear and I will join the throngs before Your throne praising You for eternity and living, basking, in Your presence and under the shelter of Your wings FOREVER!!!! AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment