Monday, March April 26: Revelation 20-Standing before God's throne.

The 1000-year period before the final battle remains a head scratcher for me. Just when I think it is all over (i.e. chapter 19), this paragraph about 1000 years without the Devil and then his release, takes me by surprise. It reminds me that I am not calling the shots, God is. And His ways are higher than mine. God has His reasons about this and my role is to try to understand, but more importantly, to be obedient and follow. The same is true for other things I don’t understand, like the illness of a friend or the untimely death of a loved one or faithful missionary on the field. To follow and obey, that is my role as a son of God through Jesus Christ.

The scene and thought that captured most of my attention this morning was standing before the White Throne, having all of my actions reviewed prior to final judgment being rendered. I am finding it hard to describe my feelings. Sobering… scary… intimidating… every scene of my life -good or bad- recorded and reviewed. Everything! Every hidden thought, every word, every deed rendered or not, every selfish motivation, every judgmental thought, every mumbled curse… the more I think, the more uptight and nervous I get. I can literally feel my heart rate increasing. O, God, I am a sinner. Episodes of my life that I want to forget….REVEALED.

After what may seem like an eternity, sweat beading on my brow, the Judge opens the last book, the book of life. I see his finger flipping through the book, Ds, Fs, Gs (I picture the book in alphabetical order). Next His finger begins running down each page… Ga… Ge… Geb… Ges…. Like a kid scanning the final cut list for the football team, I am mentally searching with the Judge for my name. Gestal, William Joseph Jr. I am in! The other books are closed, the Judge peers over the book… “Your debt has been paid, Bill. Welcome to My kingdom, My son.” Book mystically gone, I feel the Judge pull me into an embrace. His warm breath tickling my ear as He speaks, “Well done, Bill, My good and faithful servant. Well done. It is all over now, son. Death is defeated, the party is about to begin. Go freshen up; I have a room prepared for you. See you in a bit I have others to still to judge.”

As I step away I realize the fullness of the gift of life Jesus gave me on the cross…

O Jesus, my Jesus I thank You. O Jesus, my Jesus I praise You… words fail me as I bask in the glory of God… forgiven, redeemed, loved, cared for… home at last. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment