Tuesday, April 20: Revelation 15-Time for mercy.

Reading this morning, verse one and the closing words particularly struck me. I saw in heaven another great and marvelous sign: seven angels with the seven last plagues--last, because with them God's wrath is completed. It was the comment about the last plagues. So far, in the book of Revelation, there have been 7 seals and 7 trumpets and now 7 last plagues--last, because with them God's wrath is completed. I thought, as horrible as the wrath of God will be, God seems to be dolling it out in stages… seals, trumpets and now the last plagues. And the thought came to me, was God measured in the execution of His justice and wrath so as to give more time for people to repent and find mercy?

Again I cannot say for certain, but this thought is certainly in line with His character and it certainly is a thought worthy of considering during my early morning devotions.

With Jonah, God withheld His judgment at the last moment because Nineveh repented. In fact it was God’s propensity for mercy that was a factor in Jonah not obeying in the first place. Did not God withhold His righteous anger at Israel when they built and worshipped the golden calf while Moses was up Mt Sinai receiving the Ten Commandments on the tablets of stone? It seems to me that even here in Revelation, the story of the end, we see God offering one last opportunity to find mercy and peace before He executes final judgment.

And certainly God was merciful with me, withholding His justified wrath instead of coming at me again and again before I finally said ‘yes’ to Jesus. Join me in a few personal moments of recounting God’s mercy in your life or the lives of your loved ones and closest friends…

As this morning time with the Lord moves towards its close, begin with the song of the Lamb as your prayer introduction:

Great and marvelous are your deeds,

Lord God Almighty.

Just and true are your ways,

King of the ages.

 

Who will not fear you, O Lord,

and bring glory to your name?

For you alone are holy.

All nations will come

and worship before you,

for your righteous acts have been revealed (3-4).

Thank you, O God, for the mercy You have shown me! Thank You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, for saving me. Great and marvelous are Yyour deeds… Just and true are Your ways. You alone are holy and yet in Your compassion and love You saved a wretch like me… I love You, Lord. O, I love You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment