Friday, April 9: Revelation 6-

 

How dramatically the scene shifts. Yesterday was filled with praise and adoration for the Lamb. Today as the Lamb opens the scroll, and with the peeling off of each seal, a fierce horse and rider are sent out with a shout. What’s happening?

My early devotional moments were spent trying to hear and picture the scene. I wanted to step into it as best I could, pretending I was living it as John describes it,not worrying what it means, but being engulfed in it as if it were happening around me.

The absolute command of the Lamb, opening a scroll no one in heaven or earth could open but Him. And as He opens each scroll, the subordinate players fill their roles with precision. The scene reminded me of naval movies I have watched where the ship’s captain, surveying the situation, calls out “full ahead” or “right full rudder.” Some lesser officer standing by and repeats those exact orders to the engine room or helmsman. The Lamb opens a seal and one of the 4 creatures, pecking order previously established, shouts a command and sends forth a rider and his horse. The Lamb has ABSOLUTE COMMAND.

As I stood immersed in the scene, the opening of the 5th seal (v.9) burst unexpectedly with white-robed martyrs calling out, “How long until their deaths are avenged?”  Soon, very soon, only they must wait until the full number of martyrs has fallen. Were I one of the martyrs, what would I have heard? The Lamb knows our plight, the Lamb has everything in control, the Lamb has his timing and soon avenging will happen. Like a foot-soldier listening to his general’s pre-battle pep talk, the Lamb has a plan. He knows the score and soon He will strike. Again, everything is under control. The Lamb’s word gives ASSURANCE.

As the sixth seal is opened, terror falls. The world is shaken, kings cry out in fear,“Why?” I briefly think and then the answer… God’s great day of wrath has come… the one who sits on the throne and the Lamb release their wrath… the Lamb KEEPS HIS WORD… the “wait a little longer” has come…

The chapter ended, I wanted more. I wanted the movie reel to keep playing. I could have read on, but I paused, reflected, and soaked in the scene again…

The Lamb has ABSOLUTE CONTROL, gives ASSURANCE when needed, and KEEPS HIS WORD. My heart feeds on those character attributes of the Lamb, who is my Lord Jesus,the one I worship…

O, Jesus, Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, no matter what today brings, no matter what happens today, I know You are in control. You hear my cries for help or vengeance and when Your time is right, You will come! I rest in Your sovereignty, Your control, Your perfect and ABSOLUTE COMMAND.  No wonder all heaven praise and worship You. I add my voice to the songs of heaven… You are worthy to received honor and strength and glory and power… YOU ARE WORTHY!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment