Thursday, April 29: Jude- Contend

Jude pairs two complimentary messages: a warning about godless men who have slipped among you, who pervert the grace of God into license for immorality; and a denial of Jesus Christ (4) with a call to contend for the truth (3). I choose to dwell upon the latter. In my morning times with the Lord, I seek His refining work in my life…

Here are the verses and words/phrases that called out for my attention:

Verse 3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints.

Verses 20-23 But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear--hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

Looking back over the words that called for my attention, they were verbs, strong verbs that require dedication and fortitude, sprinkled with wisdom.

Contend,

Build up,

Pray,

Keep yourselves,

Wait for,

Be merciful,

Snatch…

These are the labors I am (we are) called to, as I live for Jesus.

Each word, each verb is a significant task and God lays all seven in my hands. I am both overwhelmed and inspired by these calls to action.

Gotta go, I have work to do… beginning with prayer.

O, Holy Spirit, only by Your power in my life could I even set out to do what this Word calls me to do. O, Holy Spiri,t only by your indwelling presence can I hope to be the kind of person who could discern wisely when to show mercy and when to contend. O, Holy Spirit, create in me a heart that beats in rhythm with Jesus that I might do all that He wants for me to do. O, Holy Spirit, I need you . I need You recreating me in Christ’s image and filling me with His power to say and do and be who He needs me to be. Come, Holy Spirit, come into and upon my life…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment