Friday, April 30: 1Samuel 1- Promises kept.

Promises kept. That’s the phrase that sparked as I read. Promises kept.

Elkanah, Hannah’s husband, kept his marriage vows. He loved his wife, he valued her for whom she was and didn’t hold her barren womb against her (this was certainly swimming upstream in his culture). He affirmed and blessed her giving her a double portion of sacrificial offering food. He spoke encouragement to her, "Hannah, why are you weeping? Why don't you eat? Why are you downhearted? Don't I mean more to you than ten sons?" (8). Year after year Elkanah kept his promises…

Hannah, when her son was weaned (2-3 years old), kept her promise and took him to live at the house of the Lord in Shiloh. How hard it must have been to drop Samuel off and leave. Did the young boy cry for his mother? Did the young boy cling to her? And yet she kept her promise to the Lord…

Promises kept…

Lord, I want to be a promise keeper. Promises made to my wife and family, to friends and relatives and promises made to You. Lord, I know I cannot do this on my own. Only by Your strength can I keep my promises. Help me, Lord, strengthen me, Lord, that people will see in my life promises kept… amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment