Friday, November 12: Ecclesiastes 5- Words.

I could have stopped reading after the first 7 verses.  They spoke so powerfully to me but I kept reading. I could have read only the next 5 verses.  They too challenged to me but I kept reading. I could have feasted on the final 8 verses alone.  It, too, spoke to the deep places in my life. This chapter, this word from my Lord, grabbed my attention from the first thought and held it to the end.

Lord, Your word is almost too much for me today. What portion of it would You have me linger upon? What portion would You want to steep my soul in today?

This is what I prayed as a reviewed God’s word… just read…

“Words, your word,” seemed to be the Lord’s reply. I went back a re-read slowly the opening 7 verses: Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they do wrong. Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. As a dream comes when there are many cares, so the speech of a fool when there are many words.

When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it. Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the [temple] messenger, "My vow was a mistake." Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands? Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God.

When it comes to vows (4-6) don’t be hasty.  Fulfill what you vow. My mind reviews vows I have taken… official vows like the one I made to my Lord 35+ years ago and to my wife 30+ years ago. And implicit vows, like the one I made to the church I serve or to my children to care, protect and provide. Have I been and am I faithful to my vows? That’s where I pondered and lingered.

After some time here, God widened my gaze to my words … all my words spoken to Him… listen to/for God (1), the text reminded me. Allow the Lord room and time to speak… it is conversation with God not merely talking to God that I should seek.

Oh, there was much more from these verses that I pondered and discussed with God, more than I can put in my written thoughts for today.

Stepping back before I close, my heart pounded, “Give the Lord room to speak… give the Lord room to speak…”

O, Lord. I offer some silence right now.  Speak Lord, your servant is listening… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment