Monday, November 29: Song of Solomon 7- Keeping romance alive

It is not clear in the NIV, and commentators are divided, who is the speaker in the opening 9 verses of this chapter. Is it the man, the lover?  Then this chapter would be a continuation from Chapter 8. Or is it friends or others? I opt for the former understanding that the man is speaking as the chapter opened.

His words then, and hers to follow, are laden with sexual innuendo and invitation. Ok, I guess this is not surprise if they are newly married but I clearly hear God’s invitation to keep romance alive in marriage.

After my wife and I announced our engagement, we were visiting with her grandmother, a widower into her 80’s at that time. Grandma was a proper lady befitting her age and era. As we sat in her living room one afternoon - I will never forget this moment - she offered us her one and only piece of advice. I have savored her words ever since.

“Do not let the sun go down when you are angry.” Then with a sparkle in her eye that was noticeable to me, a little grin emerged on her face as she continued, “And besides, making up is fun.” I will remember those last six words as long as I live.

“Married folk,” the text says to me, “keep romance alive.”

Lord, thank You for my wife’s grandmother. Thanks for the twinkle in her eye. Thanks for her good advice, both aspects of it. And thanks for Your words to us today. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment