Wednesday, November 10: Ecclesiastes 3- everything beautiful in its time

Among the many nudges for further meditation I encountered in this chapter, verse 11 stuck fast to my heart. He [God] has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Everything is beautiful in its time… my mind whirled. I pictured weddings and the smile of many brides I witnessed as they made their vows before God and friends. I replayed baptisms, babies held in parents’ arms and adults emerging from an immersion pool. I recall the labored last breaths of a saint about to cross from this life into eternity. Yes, I have seen that beautiful moment, too. I thought when God is at work, when people are connecting their lives with the Lord God Almighty, every moment is beautiful. It truly is.

God has set eternity in the hearts of men. I believe to the core of my being that God has wired us to seek something deeper, something more to life than the nuts and bolts of living, than the material world even at its best. I think all humans have this yearning, though not all may recognize it clearly. I am grateful that the Lord has unveiled my eyes to see and seek after Him, who is Lord of all creation.

They [we] cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end… (12) At a recent conference one speaker said, “I am so grateful that God is bigger than me and that I cannot understand all His ways.” That thought touches me deeply because if I could understand everything of God, then God is not necessary and I could take His place, which is a scary thought for me. I am so thankful that God’s ways are not my ways but higher than my ways (Is 55).

Father, Son and Holy Spirit, thank You for this morning with You in word, thought and prayer. Continue with me throughout the day… All glory to You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment