Thursday, November 18: Ecclesiastes 10- mindful diligence

What a word picture: As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor. I can see and smell this in my mind’s eye. One fly dead in a container of perfume ruins the whole. A little yeast works through the whole batch. One indiscretion undermines an entire career.

The news has broadcast story after story of anecdotal evidence for this saying. Politicians, corporate executives, religious leaders, and athletes’ careers crumble on this very point.

How can this be avoided? That certainly is the writer’s message. One answer…mindful diligence. Watching my step and actions, growing in my faith and obedience to the Lord regularly, praying for God’s leading and the courage to follow where God leads. The Book of Proverbs notes, The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom… (Pr. 9:10). It seems to me that mindful diligence to seek wisdom is a restraint against folly…

Lord, help me to guard my steps today. I feel tired and I know my normal abilities to follow You are compromised when I am tired or hurting or… Today seems to be one of those days that requires more mindful diligence in following You and thus avoiding folly. Holy Spirit, help me through today as I seek to follow You and avoid folly and selfishness and evil. “Lead me not into temptation and deliver me from the evil”… In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment