Monday, November 1: Esther 5-Trouble within

Two divergent thoughts sparked as I read this chapter. Esther’s charm and wiliness in setting the stage with anticipation for her request to the king. Most often I am direct and could learn a thing or two from her God-inspired savviness.

But where I lingered most was contemplating Haman. This man had everything. He was the right hand to the king, second over the entire nation with money, success, power and prestige. Yet under his skin and behind his finely detailed façade, anger lurked. I don’t know any other way to explain why a single peasant, a nobody, would engender such animosity and hatred. The NIV text uses the word ‘rage.’ In Hebrew it is an extremely strong word carrying the idea of fire in the belly and indignation. I wondered why a lowly nobody could cause such reaction and furry.

I bounced from Haman to humans to me.  How well we humans can harbor such deep seeded sin and emotion. How ‘natural’ it is for us to carry things like this hidden inside. History is littered with sad examples, Hatfields v. McCoys; Protestants v. Catholics in Northern Ireland; Jews v. Arabs in the Middle East.  For decades and centuries these, and many other groups, have seethed against one another. The news carries story upon story of the seemingly ‘nice person next door’ who rampages a school, post office, manufacturing plant,  killing innocent people.

Extreme, certainly these cases are as was Haman’s but as I mused, I recognized the human ability and my ability to harbor sin of many kinds deep within.

Lord God, my only hope is the cleansing, redeeming, sanctifying work of the Father’s love, Jesus’ atonement and the ongoing voice of the Holy Spirit within. Left to myself, I have Haman potential.  Only surrender to the cross and willingness to receive the Lord’s correction can change me.

O, Lord, I surrender to You… Holy Spirit have free reign in my life… growing me into a person who reflects Your character and nature of God. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment