Thursday, November 11: Ecclesiastes 4- Companions

Yesterday’s theme of time still rattled in my heart, this morning… time… seasons… stages… periods of life. There is such wisdom in the author’s ode to time. Not long ago, I stood trying to bring comfort to a family whose loved one had died. I used these words… a reminder that everything, even death, is beautiful in its time, which was certainly the case in this instance. Life is filled with many different and varied seasons and I have seen too many friends hoping praying, longing for another season, sadly missing the season they are presently in. Parents with toddlers long for days after diapers, missing the beauty and wonder of those first years. Empty nesters longing days past with kids coming and going rather than reinvesting in the spouse of their youth…

Today’s words reminded me about the strength of companions as we travel the road of life. Verses 9-12: Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

I paused to wonder what gutter I might be in if I didn’t have friends to pick me up when I fell. After typing the period of the last sentence, a momentary flash of numerous friends along life’s journey scrolled in my mind’s eye.

I wonder how the writer made the jump from two to three in that last sentence. Could it be that the third strand is meant to convey the Lord? I cannot say for sure but that is how I understand it…

I God woven tightly into my life and into my friendships? 

Lord, I pray that my life is a 3 stranded cord, myself braided tightly to You and companions. That Lord I have learned is a design that will be strong enough to survive any tug that this world can give. Bless You, Jesus. Amen.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment