Monday, November 8: Ecclesiastes 1- Meaningless.

If you are needing a pick-me-up, today’s reading probably didn’t do it. "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless" (2) is the opening salvo of this book. Before dismissing this word let it sink in… (Remember the answer will come later).

Life, from one perspective, is a treadmill, a seemingly never-ending cycle. Day upon day, work upon work, meal upon meal… a never ending cycle. People come and people go.

A friend of mine has asked me a handful of times in the last months, “What is the meaning of life?” Obviously, since I was asked repeatedly, I haven’t answered the question adequately. Life comes, life goes, stuff happens, joy springs… Januarys come and go and come again. Such is the cycle that the author notes.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun (9). Truth abounds in that thought.

So where does God take me as I muse this chapter? God takes me deep. The question of my friend pops up again. “What’s the meaning of life?” A catechism answer fills my mind: to love God and enjoy Him forever! A scripture comes to mind: Serve the Lord with gladness… (Ps 100:2a).

Years ago I said “yes” to Jesus. I would serve Him and follow Him. Stuff happens, joy breaks out, heartaches tackle us and the cycle, in varying order, happens over and over again. And yet, I know my Redeemer lives and that His hand is upon me.  And my prayer and focus in life is that somehow in living life, I will enjoy my Lord and point others to Him.

Meaning… I find meaning in my relationship with Jesus.

Lord, thank You for allowing me to bear Your name, to know You and be known by You, to enjoy You and the many people You brought into my life as I live my years with You. Thank You, for YOU! In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment