Monday, November 15: Ecclesiastes 7- Reputation

Many places in this chapter spoke to me. Much like Proverbs’ individual verses or lines provoked me to thought. Which thought should I ponder this morning and today? Scanning the chapter a second time, I landed again on the opening words: A good name is better than fine perfume...

Those words suggested the word “Reputation.” More than simply reputation, which can be something other than reality, I thought of reputation coupled with integrity.  Our integrity speaks about who we are. My reputation/integrity sticks to me when I sleep; it follows me wherever I live. In a manner of speaking, my reputation/integrity is who I am.

Perfume provides a delightful scent.  It is attracting and even alluring but it is a covering. Perfume wears off. Perfume is temporary. Perfume, particularly in ancient times when bathing was a rarity, masked body odor. Perfume covers up providing a false impression.

A good name… reputation with integrity… is the true me, the true you.

At the Holy Spirit’s nudging,  I pondered my name… who am I really? Who am I on the inside? Who am I when no one sees me? That is ‘my name. ’ Question:  “Is it a ‘good’ name?”

Lord, walk with me for a bit; help me examine who I am. Help me to be honest and see myself as You see me. Is my name ‘good’? Am I a man of integrity? What is my reputation before You? These are big questions! Lord, I pray that I am not found wanting even though I know there will be areas of lack. Help me in my lack to look to You and grow. This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment