Friday, November 5: Esther 9- The art of celebration

Reading Esther’s story is a bit like reading a Disney fairytale, with its happily-ever-after ending. Of course Esther’s story is true, which is a significant difference form Disney tales. Another difference is Esther’s desire and decree to celebrate the event year after year, decade after decade… forever.

The Jews have a wonderful sense of perpetual celebration to keep alive the memory of what God has done. My sense of their celebrations is not that it celebrates man’s achievements or Jewish ingenuity but the sovereign saving hand of their God, who has once again come through for them.

I began musing celebrations that dot my life yearly. There are birthdays; anniversaries; faith holidays like Easter and Christmas; and national holidays like 4th of July and Memorial Day. Most of these, even the faith-based ones, don’t seem to carry the God-honoring element much these days.  This is certainly true in society.

No wonder God is disappearing from societal view.

Rather than slide into a commentary of cultural life, I (prompted by the Spirit, I hope) shift my thinking back to my life and family where I influence celebrations…

Lord, what can I do to infuse You into life celebrations? Your grace allows us to life year upon year. How can I introduce you into birthdays? Your grace has been the hands under my marriage.  How can I appropriately thank You and my wife when our next anniversary rolls around?  How can I celebrate Your wonder and grace as a part of life’s celebrations?

Bless You, Lord.  Thank You, Lord.  To You be the praise and the glory now and forever. Amen.

 

PS… I am wondering if there is something simple I could do on Thanksgiving, which is only 3 weeks away, to infuse a God-honoring element into our family gathering?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment