Saturday, November 13: Ecclesiastes 6- Possessions without enjoyment

Okay, first confession. I found this chapter to be somewhat depressing, painting a pretty sad picture of life. I wondered for a bit about how true the characterization may be for many. But after a few minutes of wondering and steeping, the text began to ask me questions.

How content am I with the riches and possessions I have, with the life I live? On a world scale I live in the upper 1% of all people. Do I find enjoyment in what I have or am I chasing after something more or better or different? A man may have a hundred children and live many years; yet no matter how long he lives, if he cannot enjoy his prosperity and does not receive proper burial, I say that a stillborn child is better off than he (3). Do I enjoy what I have, remembering what I have has been given to me by the Lord? Sounds like a harmless question but as I allow it to marinate, it takes me in a number of directions. How about you? Do you enjoy what you have received?

Hmmm, a surprising question from the pen of God…

Lord, You have given me so much. Help me to both enjoy what You have given and use what I have been given to bring You pleasure, advancing Your kingdom, seeing lives changed. Lord, I thank You for life and faith. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment