Friday, July 22: Proverbs 3-

Many verses and sayings provided moments of devotion. Such is the nature of Proverbs, as wise sayings from many topics are spliced together. For whatever reason verses 3-4 stuck to me today. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man (NIV).

I read these verses again in the NASV: Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good repute In the sight of God and man.

Love/kindness and faithfulness/truth… these are the two virtues Solomon imparts to his sons.  If we write them in our hearts we will find favor and a good name with God and others.That’s quite a promise.

I spent some time mulling on those virtues.

Love/kindness: if I treat people right and do good things for those who need it, if I care for people in ways that matter, build others up as opposed to tearing them down, I will find favor before God and people. It does matter how I treat people. And Jesus taught that what I do for the least of these I do for Him! Hmmm, Solomon got it right, I’d say.

Faithfulness/truth: “Let your ‘yes’ be ‘yes’ and ‘no’, ‘no’”, said Jesus. ‘Speak the truth in love’, wrote Paul. ‘Put on truth/faithfulness’, instructed Solomon. Be men and women of our word and use our words and life for truth… that honors God and men. Again, the more I ponder, the more potent Solomon’s words grow.

Lord, it is not knowing these truths that is the difficult part, it is living them. Too often the video of my life shows that I can be harsh with others rather than loving. I can be coarse instead of kind.  Forgive me, pleas,se and help me to change my ways and grow in Your ways! And the same goes for faithfulness and truth. I can twist and alter truth to suit my situation. The mirror of your Word can be painful at times. Agai,n I ask Your forgiveness and seek Your strength to change and live differently… to live better and higher, to live Your way. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment