Monday, July 18: 1Corinthians 15- Working harder

Many stopping points occurred during this amazing chapter on the Resurrection. Thoughts that we will one day be raised from the dead and given bodies that will never wear out and will last all of eternity still boggles my mind. I really cannot fathom eternity…

Of all the amazing meditation points, these words by Paul spurred my thinking and contemplation most deeply. For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Whether, then, it was I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed (9-11).

In the first Rocky movie there are scenes where he is training. Rocky puts everything he has into his training.  It is his one shot. During some of the workout scenes, the theme song plays in the background.  It doesn’t have many words but there are places where the words, (“Trying hard now, it's so hard now, trying hard now… Getting strong now, won't be long now, getting strong now… Gonna fly now, flying high now, gonna fly, fly, fly”) are heard in the background of the song (if you don’t remember this check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PtvLTZS4Ik&feature=related). It is one of the classic film scenes and it depicts a man giving everything he has to reach the goal he has set.

That’s what I hear Paul doing in these verses, by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Paul, fueled by God’s grace, gives everything he has into his service of Jesus, his Lord!

The Holy Spirit’s challenge to me this a.m. is to put the effort and hard work into my faith that Paul put into his and Rocky his…

O, God, give me the strength and the perseverance to work harder at my faith and service to You that others… I will need Your grace to do this and especially to do it for Your honor and glory not mine! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment