Wednesday, July 13: 1Corinthians 11-The advantage of a mentor

 

The first verse was literally highlighted as I opened the text on my computer. It always is because my Bible program highlights the first verse but somehow the words seized me. Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. Want to know how to follow Jesus?  Watch and emulate mature believers. Paul bids the Corinthians to follow him.

Two problems follow… what women and men should wear on their heads when they pray and prophecy during the gathering. Also concerns with the Lord’s Supper.

In both situations Paul, the mentor and the wise mature believer, offers his understanding, advice and direction. Regarding the two issues addressed in this chapter, the mentor sees a problem and addresses it. Beginning next chapter, the mentor speaks to issues about which the mentee (the Corinthians) apparently inquired.

The specifics of the chapter fade as the big picture brightens. I ponder who I turn to when I have questions about following Jesus. Who speaks God’s truth into my living? Who straightens me out? Over the years I have had men I emulate but I have never had a singular mentor. Likewise I have encouraged and advised younger believers but never had a singular mentee.

Hmmm, should I? This is worth praying through and seeking the Lord about.

How about you?

O, God, is there a ‘Paul’ for me? A wiser more mature brother whose example I could follow? Lord, is there a younger man for whom I could be a ‘Paul’? Make it clear to me, Lord… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment