Tuesday, July 12: 1Corinthians 10- 3 "should not's" and a comment

I continually find it interesting how God seems to highlight portions of the text as I do my devotional reading. Generally there is a word, thought, comment, or idea that sparks and I offer it to God and ask God to speak with me about it.

Today the first spark came in verses 8-10. Building from an OT example, Paul offers 3-‘should not’s’ for those of us seeking to walk the way of Jesus. We should not commit sexual immorality … We should not test the Lord … And do not grumble… It appears that the Corinthian society like our own was sex crazed because Paul again warns about sexual immorality. This is the 3rd or 4th time sexual immorality has come up in this letter! I think I get it, Lord.

Testing the Lord is a new warning. I pondered that. Hmmm… could I be testing God when I ‘try God’s patience” by constantly flirty with evil or idolatry rather than being wholly committed to the Lord? I suppose it could also be when I lay a fleece before God or confront God to have Him prove His God-ness to me? I am not to control God, God is to direct me. I am the servant and I need to beware of making God my servant!

Then came grumbling. Israel grumbled constantly in the wilderness.  ‘God, the food You provide isn’t good enough. We don’t have enough meat. We need water… whine, whine, whine. I want, I want, I want. You’re not nice enough to me… blah, blah, blah. Complain, complain, complain’. When I (we) grumble and whine, I am (we are), again, turning the tables and making God my servant instead of serving Him!

As I read on, verse 24 also stood out: Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

A theme emerged as I meditated on these texts. Following God –faithfulness to God- is not about me and what pleases me or takes care of me or makes my life the simplest or most comfortable. Faith in the Lord is submitting to Him, receiving what comes from His hand and serving others… that in all things I might help God’s kingdom grow and glorify the Lord God Almighty.

I surrender all… I surrender all. All to Jesus I surrender. I surrender all. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment