Saturday, July 16: 1Corinthians 14- Building other up.

Paul’s snapshot of worship in Corinth is quite a bit different that any church I have worshipped with, including charismatic/Pentecostal churches. As I was reading and meditating on this chapter, it was not worship that stuck to my soul but Paul’s opening.  As I meditated, it seems to set the tenor and foundation for the rest of what he instructs in this chapter. Paul opens thusly: Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. … everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort (1, 3).

When it comes to prophecy, tongues and charismatic gifts, particularly charismatic speaking gifts, the present-day church is a divided body. Our worldview and experiences often cause us to run to our theological constructs rather than letting God’s Word refresh and instruct us.

Let me repeat Paul’s words: Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. … everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort.

Just yesterday chapter 13 gave the most eloquent definition and word-picture of love… patient, kind, not envious or boastful, keeping no record of wrongs, trusting, persevering etc. Wow, if everyone lived like that the world would be a different place! Paul opens chapter 14, follow the way of love… Don’t forget yesterday’s word about love, incorporate it into your (my) life, repeats the Lord!

Then God continues, telling us to eagerly desire spiritual gifts. Two days ago God told us that spiritual gifts rightly used are for the common good (12:7). Hmm, sounds like God wants us to focus our lives on helping others, which is not all too different than God’s call to love.

Lastly, Paul instructs eagerly desire spiritual gifts especially prophecy, which he goes on to describe as strengthening, encouraging and comforting. Maybe I am overdoing it, but again, I hear in that definition a deep concern for building others up in life and in the Lord.

Wow, when I add up this entire equation it seems God is hammering me (us, the church) that we have to be about building up one another. Stop worrying about self and start living for and caring for brothers and sisters in the body! To do so we need love, gifts, prophecy…

I have been with people who have ‘received a word’ in prayer that totally encourages and builds up the person being prayed for! I think God smiles. I have watched people share a scripture with another person that is totally encouraging and blessing. I think God smiles. Just yesterday I was on the phone with a hurting person and I worked to pour hope and care into that person’s life. I believe God smiled.

Okay, I get it God. I have my marching orders for today and all my today’s… The Spirit is saying how I want you to live…Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. Live to strengthen, encourage and comfort others.

Lord, may I be that kind of person, helping others to live well, to live strong and to trust in You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment