Thursday, July 7: 1Corinthians 6- Lawsuits and Immorality.?!?

If anyone ever says that following Jesus need not impact ones behavior, just have them read 1Corinthians. Behavior is the fruit of faith. As healthy trees produce good fruit, so we are to live good lives.

Regarding the lawsuits concern verses 7-8 landed like an MMA kick to the midsection. The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers. Does that present a different way of living than we experience or what?!

The underlying issue of problems between fellow believers is a given. Paul suggests that possibly we should live with being wronged rather than make a big stink about it. How’s that for a counter-way to live?

Believers cheating other believers, that’s why they are defeated already! We should be able to live above this petty way of living…

What I am seeing in the text, both yesterday and today, is that we should be able to live differently. We should be able to live to a higher, more-godly standard. I am wondering why we don’t seem to crucify the sinful nature as Paul apparently expects the Corinthian believers to be able to do. It baffles Paul’s mind that some in the church are living sexually impure lives and that they would cheat one another.

The question that floats for me is the issue of a higher standard. “Do I hold myself to a higher standard? I should live differently. I should live with ‘Christ like’ regard and love and concern for others. How I live matters. Am I a person of Jesus honoring integrity? Am I?”

These are the self-examining questions that the Holy Spirit presses into me as I sit with God’s word this morning.

Lord, help me to stop playing it safe.  Help me with total abandon to give myself to living faithfully in all areas of my life. Through You, Jesus, I pray to the Father in the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment