Friday, July 29: Proverbs 9- Choices and Trends.

Choices, everyone has choices.  All of us make choices all the time. We choose which gas station to fill our cars at, which chips to buy for the party, which apartment to rent, what TV channel to watch, what teams to root for, what books/magazines to read, which phone to buy. Choices fill our lives. Most choices seem pretty innocuous when viewed individually.I mean, does it really matter if I have the ‘double baconator’ or a salad for lunch? Probably not, if it were truly independent, but we all tend to follow our self-chosen trends. I like certain sports teams and watch them regularly.  I don’t watch just any baseball team play. I choose certain TV shows and not others. A salad may have 300 calories; the ‘double baconator’, I recently learned, has over 2000! And reports just surfaced that the United States is escalating in obesity. 49 states now have 20% obesity rates! Scary.

Are choices independent?  Strictly speaking, yes, but we all have our personal trends.

Proverbs 9 zooms in on our choice of ‘wisdom v. folly’… appealing to us to choose wisdom. I know there are times I have chosen folly, poor choices dot my life (thank You, Jesus, for forgiveness and correction)… yet the Spirit’s nudge in my inner being is about my trend line. What is my pattern when it comes to ‘folly v. wisdom’?

What’s your trend line? Think about it.

Lord, unclog my ears that I might hear Your voice and choose wisdom time and time again. Please, Lord, help me. Help me in my areas of weakness.  Help me in times of stress and lack of clarity. Help me to choose wisdom, for Your sake and mine. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment